RELEASE OF 'MUTE POET VOCALIZER 25TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION'
KONG's first release 'Mute Poet Vocalizer' from 1990 has been remixed by Dirk de Vries and sounds awesome! The digital version is available on iTunes, eMusic etc. and on our page at Bandcamp. It contains the full original album (with two very small additions, who can spot them?) and one previously unreleased bonus track.
We're starting a pre-order campaign for a release on vinyl on Pledgemusic. So if your interested in the 'real stuff', make sure you place your order. With at least 500 orders we can start the manufacturing process.
To get an impression of the 'new' album check out this short video.
REMIX 'MUTE POET VOCALIZER'
In 1990 Peaceville Records from the UK released KONG's first album 'Mute Poet Vocalizer'. To celebrate this 25th anniversary the album is currently remixed by former KONG guitarist Dirk de Vries. The album was recorded in a large bunker under a bridge in the Vondelpark, Amsterdam. This place is legendary for Pink Floyd playing there on 01-06-1968, when it was a club called 'Lijn 3', named after the tram which drives over the bridge every few minutes. Despite recording mainly at night the tram is audible on each of the four KONG albums that have been recorded there over the years.
Mute Poet Vocalizer was recorded in two days in a 'live' set-up, meaning all musicians stood on their usual spot in a corner of the space and played simultaneously onto 16 track tape. Mixing was done in the same space on a large analog mixing desk and some rented and borrowed equipment. At the time we were happy with the result and the album was quite succesful but technology has improved a lot which makes it worth getting the best out of it, once again. At this stage all original multitrack tapes have been digitized and the first rough mixes sound very promising.
The remixed album will be available online in some months. We're also considering a release on vinyl, so please let us know if you would be interested in a vinyl copy of the album.
To be continued!
ACOUSTIC VERSION OF 'TENFOLD RIGHT'
Another track from our acoustic session at Concerto Recordstore, Amsterdam, 30-10-2014.
While rehearsing the songs from the new album we filmed this version of 'Wide Awake' with a very sophisticated, hightech, self built, camera revolving rig.
KONG GOES SOFT
But not really, we just experimented with acoustic versions of a couple of old songs. Which, we think, sounded quite nice actually and was a lot of fun to do.
NEW ALBUM NOW AVAILABLE
In record stores in Netherlands and Belgium, our shop and on Bandcamp. Release in the UK in October and in Germany in November. An interesting review of the album can be found on Avenoctum.
NEW ALBUM OUT ON 19.09.14
The new album entitled 'STERN' will be released on 19 september 2014. We are recording right now in our studio in Amsterdam after which former guitarist Dirk de Vries will take care of the mix again. Several guest musicians will contribute to the album with instruments ranging from organ and synthesizer to surfguitar and sabar.
OSCAR JOINED KONG / WORKING ON NEW ALBUM
This is sort of old news, cause Oscar Alblas joined KONG already quite some time ago. We did the first gig with him in September in W2, Den Bosch which went really good. He's an amazing steady, heavy drummer and also very creative. Together with him we're working on material for a new album. Recordings are scheduled for April 2014.
In the meantime there's activity on the vocal side of business: accompanied by singer Björn Warning, Tijs, David and Mark are working on new songs for 'Barkflower'. Featuring Mandy Hopman on drums
MANDY LEAVES KONG
Two more gigs to go (22-02 P60, Amstelveen and 11-04 Luxor Live, Arnhem) and we will have to do without Mandy. She decided to leave Kong to be able to spend more time studying and doing other musical stuff. Of course we understand and respect but also very much regret her decision. Fortunately we found an excellent replacement in Stef Broks (also drummer with Textures) who will be playing with us for at least the next few months. Don't miss the opportunity to see Mandy at work with Kong for the last time!
INSTRUMETAL FEST: THE VOICELESS OF HOLLAND
3 Instrumental bands on 1 night: Cartographer, TANK86 and KONG!
16-01-13: Asteriks, Leeuwarden | 24-01-13: Mezz, Breda | 25-01-13: Luxor Live, Arnhem | 02-02-13: De Peppel, Zeist
QUOTES ON 'MERCHANTS OF AIR'
• If you have not heard Kong before, get to it now and find out why they are the kings of progressive instrumental music. [avenoctum.com]
• 2012's "Merchants Of Air" is a highly enjoyable trip in experimental & heavy instrumental music. [stonerobixxx.blogspot.nl]
• KONG still going strong after all these years! [Luc van Acker - Revolting Cocks, Ministry]
NEW ALBUM OUT!
Today our new album 'Merchants Of Air' has finally been released. It's already available by mailorder here, as digital download here and will be in the shops soon. We're very happy with the result (what else can we say after the ridiciously long production period) and like to thank everyone who worked with us on this project, especially Dirk de Vries (sound-engineer, producer), Ronald Draijer (Suburban) and Wim Bult (mastering).
We will present the album at de Melkweg, Amsterdam on June the 24th (with support-act Bep).
We almost can't believe it ourselves but today the masterdisc and artwork for our new album have been sent to the factory. Which is going to manufacture a load of nice & shiny, old fashioned cd's. The album will released June 22 and presented at de Melkweg, Amsterdam on June the 24th (with support-act Bep).
ROADBURN, APRIL 13TH 2012, 013 TILBURG
We've been invited to play at the 'Voivod curated Au-delà Réel-event' at Roadburn Festival 2012. An event programmed by the legendary Voivod with a.o. Doom, Killing Joke, Bong, Witch, Valient Thorr and Voivod themselves. We will perform in a very special one-stage set-up. More info
NEW DEMO-SONG ONLINE
While we're still in the middle of the recording of our forthcoming album you can already check out a demo-version of a new songs called 'Steam Truckin'.
The new album will be finished and released beginning of next year. Recordings are taking place in our studio in Amsterdam and the album will be mixed (just as our last album) by former KONG member Dirk de Vries.
More demo-songs to follow!
NEW ALBUM DELAYED
The recordings for the new KONG album are being delayed by a very unfortunate confrontation between drummer Mandy and a sailing boat. While sailing a rough sea she was hit by a failing piece of the mast and is still suffering from the aftermath of a serious concussion. At the moment she is slowly picking up drumming again and we hope she'll be fully recovered and back into business soon.
We recently joined Bandcamp.com, a great website to discover, listen to and buy music. You can listen to full length tracks or a whole album before deciding to purchase. All revenues go directly to the artist (minus a small percentage for Bandcamp) and often you can decide for yourself how much you want to pay for a track or album.
ONE STAGE FOR A CHANGE
A couple of pictures of our gig at Kaderock last saturday, All four on one stage!
Just started recording material for, possibly/probably/presumably, a new album. As the last time, we're working in our studio in Amsterdam. No idea yet when it'll be finished, more details to follow!
On 3voor12.nl from the gig at Muziekgieterij in Maastricht on Friday 5 November.
We're working on new material at the moment. There are no concrete plans to record an album yet but (as far as we are able to judge our own music) it's going very well. About 14 songs are more or less finished, from which approximately four Top Ten hits.
Some good photo's from the gig at the Rock Hard Night at FZW, Dortmund.
ROCK HARD SHOW IN DORTMUND
On January 30 2010 KONG will appear on a special "Rock Hard Night" initiated by German magazine Rock Hard. The show will take place at FZW in Dortmund and will be co-headlined by German instrumental ensemble "Long Distance Calling".
REVIEWS MELKWEG GIG 15-08-09 (in Dutch)
– Lords Of Metal
INTERVIEW PAROOL (in Dutch)
– "Kongs muziek verjaart niet."
– KONG just signed to IBDbooking from Germany for European-wide bookings.
– Two songs filmed at the gig at W2 in Den Bosch are online at YouTube. The material has been filmed and live-edited by the W2 crew who really managed to capture the atmosphere of the gig. Also the sound is amazingly good.
– The new album got the first reviews in a on- and offline magazines. It is available in shops in The Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, France, Denmark and the UK and through mailorder at several online shops. More details here.
NEW ALBUM READY
– The new KONG album entitled "What It Seems Is What You Get" is ready! The release is scheduled for March 27 2009 on KONG's own Kongenial label and will be distributed by Suburban (Benelux) and Soulfood (Germany). It will also be available by mailorder through this website.
The album has been recorded in the KONG studio in Amsterdam and was mixed by former guitarist Dirk de Vries. Mastering was done by Attie Bauw.
Following the release KONG will start touring again. Click here for tourdates
RECORDING NEW ALBUM
– Beginning of August the recordings for a new album have started. This is taking place in the KONG studio in Amsterdam. Former guitarist Dirk de Vries is in charge of the recordings and will also mix the album. The release date hasn't been set yet but will probably be sometime beginning of next year. Stay tuned!
– Fourth bandmember and second guitarist has been found in the person of David Kox who's already taking part in the songwriting and will contribute guitarparts on the new album.
NEW DEMO ONLINE
– Click here to check out three new demo songs
– An extensive search for a drummer led to Mandy Hopman joining the band.
Rehearsals with her have just started.
– After 7 years of silence KONG is stirring from its slumber. Late 2006 bassist Mark began looking for fellow souls to revive the band. Guitarist Tijs Keverkamp signed up for the resurrection and so far this collaboration has resulted in a number of inspiring new songs. It's not yet sure who will fulfill the other vacancies nor if this will lead to KONG performing live again. But as it looks and sounds now a new album may arise sometime next year, unscrupulous and uncompromising as ever before.